Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Side Note #1: Language Barrier

Fun Fact: Keeping dinner from burning can be a full time job in itself.

Besides all the fun filled days exploring the ins and outs of the shipyard and different boats , what else do I do? Well, for starters, I have learned 3 different languages thus far , if only in listening to them. Speaking is another matter entirely.

Translation:

For those of you ( yes, readers, that's you) whom have never been to the south previously, prepare for a different world. Yes, the South and the North are all part of the US of A, but I promise that it is not the same. At all. It took me minutes for me to realize that I couldn't understand many people down here. It took weeks for me to realize WHY. 

The thing about the South is that each area has it's own accent. At home I am used to accents being attributed to different cities...EG: 
Boston Accent
Then there's the New York Accent
And my favorite, the Philadelphia (Philly) Accent.
and one more about Philly

All of this compared to a southern accent...except there is no one southern accent. Thus far, I have heard no less than 15 different accents but can narrow them roughly down to Alabama accent, Louisiana accent, and Mississippi accent. And I swear that when you cross the state boarder it's completely different. I can't really distinguish the actual differences to be put into words, but I can (FINALLY) start to identify who comes from which state. It is truly interesting how varied they are and how I never knew there was even a difference. However, there are certain phrases that stick out in my mind that are definitely different. Such as  " I tell you what", "y'all", "bless your heart" "reckon" "aim to""fixin to" and "good ol' boy". I worry a bit that I'll lose my much loved Philly accent here if I keep this up much longer ...can't be doin that now, ya hear?


No comments:

Post a Comment