Friday, January 4, 2013

Post #1

...and then I was back at Webb at long last. 

THE END

If you're like me, you jump to the last page of the book to find out the ending to beat the wait. To make it easier for those like me, I decided to START with the ending to get that out of the way .  

And now for the beginning:

Hello everyone. My name is Alex Wilson and I am from Webb's Class of 2016. As for the name of my blog, after a ride that long, it didn't matter greatly that I was to live on my own "in the real world" for the first time. Nor that the condo I resided in was gorgeous compared to a college dorm. What captivated me for the first hours of this adventure was the one palm tree outside my window. Upon finally getting some quality sleep I came to realize my folly. I should not have been so amazed with that palm tree...the wonder of all wonders was that there was an even prettier one to be seen through my other windows.

 Originally from New Jersey, I had never been to "Dixie" for any length of time. It always struck me as a "pretend place" : a place of dreams. Despite a general understanding of geography, I still could not fathom a winter with days over the 50 degree mark on the thermometers. The balmy 70 degrees upon arrival was almost enough to make me want to move down here permanently . Work at Huntington Ingalls didn't start until January 7th, so I was able to explore around the area a bit. Turns out there was a semblance of a beach a block from my condo it was from there that I saw my first ever oil rig.  For a person who wants to get into the off shore side of naval architecture, I tried not to get too bothered that the first one I ever saw was listing to its side ...

Overall, I can't wait to get started with this internship ! 4:30 AM wake up : bring it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment